Old Metairie Streetcar [The Blue Line]
by Emily Dardis, Old Metairie Garden Club Historian
In 1916 the Napoleon Avenue streetcar line was extended from the 17th street Canal to Shrewsbury Rd. Blue in color, the streetcar line was known as “the Blue Line”, though it’s official name was the Shrewsbury Extension. This extension of public transportation led to new interest and growth for Old Metairie, once known as “the country”.